Credit cards often get a bad rap because of irresponsible spending. It’s true that credit cards bills can consume your finances and become a burden. That’s why it’s so important to be responsible with your spending and only use credit for items that you have the cash for.
If you are a responsible credit card user, there are rewards that you can take advantage of just by using your credit card on everyday items. Don’t sign up for a general credit card that has no rewards. Take a look at these options and build up rewards along the way.
Best Hotel Rewards Credit Card
If you travel often, the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card is a must. You build points at a rate of 6 points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, plus you get bonus points every time you stay at a Hilton hotel. Hotel stays usually run about $30,000 points, but you get there pretty quickly with the 6X points multiplier and if you’re traveling for business.
- 40,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points (after spending $1,000 in purchases within the first 4 months)
- No annual fees
- Automatic HHonors Silver status
Best Airline Miles Credit Card
- 50,000 AA bonus miles after $3,000 in purchases in first 4 months (good for two free flights)
- $150 Statement credit for eligible American Airlines purchase in the first 12 months.
- Two (2) free admirals club passes ($100 value)
- Credit card fee waived for first year ($85 savings)
Best Overall Points Credit Card
The Chase Freedom 5% cash back is a great overall spending credit card. You accumulate 1% cash back on everything and 5% cash back on rotating categories like dining, entertainment, and retail. The points add up fast!
Best Credit Card for College Students
If you’re a college student wanting to build credit, the Citi Forward® Card for College Students is one to consider. It gives these perks:
- $100 credit towards student loans after $650 in purchases
- 5 Points on restaurant and entertainment expenses
- 0% APR for 12 months