Make Money With Amazon Kindle writing about what you know best (maybe you are an expert on preparing Peruvian cuisine–if so we should probably hang out), by finally taking a shot at putting your poetry out there for the masses (Chaos, Celtic Chants and not-so-Crafty Alliteration), or compiling a collection of short stories that have been sitting in a dusty notebook for several years.
Not only can you make extra money with amazon, but you can finally take a real shot at becoming a published author if it is something you have always wanted to do. You can share your work with the world.
What is KDP and KDP select
KDP is Kindle Direct Publishing. The amazon service is free and this allows anyone the opportunity to self-publish. In addition to do it yourself options, there are also professional services available to help with formatting, creating a cover, etc. If you publish through KDP, you can still market your digital work elsewhere.
With KDP Select you
- “Earn a share of the KDP Select Global Fund amount when readers choose and read more than 10% of your book from Kindle Unlimited, or borrow your book from the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library. Plus earn 70% royalty for sales to customers in Japan, India, Brazil and Mexico” – kdp select
- You can choose from a few different promotional tools and reach new audiences
- When you choose this option you give up the right to sell your digital work through other platforms
What writers have to say about KDP select
Like any other business venture or creative options you need to make your own informed decisions.
Guest blogger Tristan King wrote a blog post for Location 180 How to Increase Your Amazon Kindle Book Sales by 600% in a Week. You should check it out because it is simply packed full of great stuff and links to more information. King writes that at first he was hesitant about not being able to publish elsewhere, but then he came to this:
“Up until this point, through the Apple iBooks store, Barnes & Noble, and Sony’s Nook eBook store, I had sold a grand total of zero copies. Every single sale I’d made was on Amazon. Given I wasn’t making any sales on the other platforms anyway, why not try it?” – Tristan King
Despite watching all of those free downloads roll in knowing that he wasn’t selling books, it was exciting to see so many people reading his work. And the free promotion period boosts sales once it is over.
“In the following week I had a 600% increase in sales” – T.K.
Chris Guthrie who seems to know more than a little about building successful businesses on amazon published his first amazon kindle book in 2012. In How Much money can one Kindle book make? (1 year case study) the content clearly lays out the benefits and awesome key points to consider in how to make it work for you.
KDP Select is a hot topic right now. A recent article in the New York Times highlights some of the negative impacts of Kindle Unlimited hosting 700,000 books to readers for only 9.99$ a month. The article states that Holly Ward, who publishes under H.M. Ward, saw a 75% decrease in income after two months in the program.
Joe Konrath is also departing. But he has been careful to point out that
“Some authors’ sales have dropped. Others have risen. I need more data, so I opted out several weeks ago. But the period is three months, so they’re still enrolled until January.”
After reviewing several articles and blog posts about the benefits and potential downfalls of opting for KDP Select, I think it may be good to consider these points…
- Even though it’s a hot debatable topic many writers attribute their decrease in sales to simply a decrease in their own production, not related to changes with amazon
- Those writers who seem to be negatively impacted by Kindle Unlimited are those who have previously had the most success. This doesn’t make it any easier on them, but they built success through amazon and can potentially leave the option and still generate sales with a well-established fan base
- It appears that those who have the most to gain from KDP Select are new or fairly new writers trying to break into the market and earn extra money through amazon kindle. It’s simple marketing 101. If you want people to read your work, you have to get your name out there. And considering that this entire program is structured around that concept it is certainly worth looking into.
- Remember you can opt out if it doesn’t work for you.
What can I write for amazon kindle
The short answer: anything you want. Of course good content is a no brainer. And amazon has a list of what makes for poor content. Basics such as poor editing, broken links, missing or repeated material for example can lead readers to distrust you quickly. So despite the ease with which you can now publish, if you embark on this adventure you should take the journey seriously enough to make it good. You can write
- How to guides
- Create compilations of photography or artwork
- Short stories, collections of flash or microfiction
- Self-help books
- Good steamy fiction
- Science Fiction
- Childrens books
You get the picture, virtually anything you want to write.
For gaining a better understanding of how k-lytics works and checking out how amazon strategies affected the growth in the creation of childrens books check out this interesting video
How much extra money can I make with amazon
First of all, this isn’t a get rich quick scheme because writing takes work, and well chances are it isn’t going to make you rich. But you can earn a sideline income writing for amazon kindle and some have managed to create a significant income off of their work. The amount of money you can earn is going to of course be directly related to the quality of your work, and the choices you make concerning your options with amazon kindle. For a few cool, informative and inspirational success stories check out the following links
How do you get started writing with amazon
Writer’s for amazon kindle suggest getting familiar with the formatting of amazon manuscripts prior to typing it just to simply make things easier. I once had a writing instructor tell me
“All it takes to be an artist is to create art; all it takes to be a writer is to write”
You can have a solid business plan, be a marketing guru, read and understand all of the details and terms and conditions of what it takes to earn money with amazon…all of these good things…but if you don’t write then it doesn’t matter. So we will close this out with a few writing tips to remember
- There is no such thing as writer’s block when you allow yourself to write in chunks. Don’t spend hours hung up on an introductory paragraph or worried about a title. Write what you are compelled to write and if you hit a stopping point and still have time set aside, move to a different section or area of your content and keep writing
- Don’t throw out anything. If you have a great few pages or chapter of writing and suddenly realize it doesn’t fit, it doesn’t work…don’t delete it. Save it to another file to revisit later
- When writing non-fiction or fiction consider using storyboarding to plot out your work. If traditional outlines leave you scared in a corner, forget it. Try out another format for organizing your work such as a good old fashioned powerpoint presentation. Or if you are like me sometimes it is just fun to tape papers to the wall.
- If you are writing fiction and get stuck or are in the earlier stages of the process, do some sideline writing and go crazy with character development. I once had a writing instructor put all of us through a theater practice where he sat each of us in a chair and put the student through an interview process. Another student took notes as the writer took on the role of the character. That exercise can generate some really interesting stuff.
- Try switching up your writing time work routine. If you are a committed night owl, try out morning writing for a change and see what happens.
- Read books about the craft of writing
- Be yourself. Write about what matters to you.
And of course if you are interested in reading great books written by experienced self-published writers about secrets for success, tips and tricks, understanding formatting, etc. etc., I believe you know where to find them. Rumor has it there are several five star reviews on amazon.